Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Dial



I learnt something interesting recently. It is called the "poor man's macro lens". In order to get a really close focus on an object, I merely had to remove my lens and flip it around. Holding the lens against the camera body, I moved forwards and backwards until I got the object in focus, then released the shutter.

The problem with this lens-flipping technique is lighting. Very little light passes through the lens, but I managed to solve it simply by shining a cheap flashlight at the object to brighten it up.

The other problem with this is the shallow depth of field. It's so shallow that a slight shift and the object goes completely out of focus.

Boy, that was fun.

6 comments:

kat0421 said...

Thank you so much for explaining the poor mans macro lens! I've been trying to save for one and I just tried your technique it works really well. Thank you so much this should hold me over until I can get a real one!

Lucas said...

Very nice picture! I made one myself: http://lucassio.blogspot.com/2006/04/fontein.html
But simply with my digital camera, macro-mode :)

MegS said...

"next blog" put me at your blog twice in one week...I loved it the first time, now I'm going to mark the address. you're fantastic!

G said...

kat0421: No worries. Hope you have as much fun with it as I did.

lucas: Saw it. Nice shot.

meg: Thanks for the compliment. I'll work hard to maintain my best standards.

CameraDawktor said...

Very cool! Love the industrial looking photos!

Aaron Cook said...

I definitely like that shot! And even more so after knowing you achieved it via the "poor man's."

Nice work! -I like Watertap as well. :)

Labels

Archive

Search the web

Custom Search

Followers

Blog Directory by Blog Flux Listed on BlogShares

website tracker

Donations

Feeling generous? Make a donation to 'Life In Still Mode' to help continue the daily posting of photographs for your viewing pleasure. No obligations. :)

Copyright (C) All Rights Reserved

All content on this website are under full copyright and may not be used for any other purpose unless with explicit permission from the owner / photographer / content manager.