Friday, June 15, 2007

Pitis Abstract



This is an abstract view of an oversized model Pohon Pitis. A pohon pitis (coin tree) is made of tin metal bearing 13 coins issued by Sultan Muhammad IV of the State of Kelantan in 1903 when it was still a tributary state of Siam. On one side of the coin was inscribed "THURIBA FI ZUL-HIJJAH SANAT 1321" i.e. struck in the month of Zul–hijjah 1903 and on the reverse "BELANJAAN KERAJAAN KELANTAN", i.e. currency of the Government of Kelantan. The coin or "pitis", which in local Kelantanese dialect means money, was one of the denominations in circulation in Kelantan until 1920.

4 comments:

Abhishek said...

I have been visiting your site for quite a while now and I like your work. How do you make your pictures appear larger? I like having a photoblog on blogger but I wish my pictures could be displayed larger.

G said...

Hi. Thanks for enjoying the pictures.

My photos are hosted on an external server and linked to my posts using basic HTML code.

Abhishek said...

thanks...the size of the pictures was the only problem I had with blogspot. I am not a big fan of flickr for lack of customization, but the communities are good. Thanks for your advice, I saved $25 and did not go to zenfolio. Now my pictures are big enough.

Unknown said...

pitis in kelantan/terengganu dialect pronounced as "pee-teeh" actually means "duit" - money. I'm not from Eastern Coast but I learn their dialect 3 years when I was 19-21

Labels

Archive

Search the web

Custom Search

Followers

Blog Directory by Blog Flux Listed on BlogShares

website tracker

Donations

Feeling generous? Make a donation to 'Life In Still Mode' to help continue the daily posting of photographs for your viewing pleasure. No obligations. :)

Copyright (C) All Rights Reserved

All content on this website are under full copyright and may not be used for any other purpose unless with explicit permission from the owner / photographer / content manager.